I cook more often than I bake, but I really enjoy baking when I have the time to do it. I find the processes to be different, but the results to be similar. Baking feels a lot more structured than cooking, and yet, the mess that becomes of my kitchen says otherwise.
Luckily, my sister-n-law and recipe developer, Elena, came over to help me out in the kitchen recently and I’m still amazed at how nice it is to have that extra help! The kitchen still gets messy, but clean up is a breeze and we tackled several recipes in one day. She’s amazing.
This recipe for Lemon Blueberry Muffins is very easy and the flavor of lemon really shines through amongst the blueberries. We even replaced milk with almond milk and we think it made the muffins even more moist. Although, it could have been the butter too. 😉
Both Elena and I couldn’t wait to try one, because much like cooking, the smells took over our senses immediately. We just had to be sure the recipe tasted as good as it smelled… it was delicious.
Do you have a preference of cooking vs. baking?
Lemon Blueberry Muffins
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lemon zest, plus extra for garnish
1 large egg
1 cup almond milk
4 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1.5 cups blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin with butter.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest.
4. In a small bowl, beat egg, almond milk, butter and vanilla.
5. Pour egg mixture into the dry ingredients and stir just until flower is moistened (batter will be a little lumpy). Fold in the blueberries.
6. Spoon mixture into muffin tin and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the tops are golden.
Note: You can test the doneness by sticking a toothpick in the center of the muffins. If it comes out clean, they’re done.
All images ©Regan Baroni 2017.