I’ve been really into quail eggs lately. From my Mini Breakfast Sandwiches to this delicious Quail Eggs with Chickpeas and Pico de Gallo, my breakfasts have never looked so darn cute. I get my quail eggs from American Pride MicroFarm. They’re one of my go-to stands at the summer farmers market. Luckily, in the winter months, they swing through town every Saturday to see if we need anything. It’s such a nice perk because quail eggs are harder to find in my regular market.
As a food photographer, I’m always trying to tell a story with my recipes. Last summer, Mike and I spent the fourth of July in rural Wisconsin. We escaped to a cabin on Anderson Lake, rented a pontoon and cooked over an open fire. Even though I love kitchens and all the gadgets, there’s something very calming about the simplicity of cooking outside using only a fire and a skillet.
This recipe requires 1 can of chickpeas, as much pico de gallo as your taste buds desire and a couple of sunny side up quail eggs. Add salt and pepper to taste with sprigs of cilantro for garnish and you’ve got yourself a simple, rustic breakfast that just might put your busy life on pause for a minute.
QUAIL EGGS WITH CHICKPEAS AND PICO DE GALLO
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 can of chickpeas
1 small container of pico de gallo
1-2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Quail eggs (2 per serving)
Salt and pepper to taste
Cilantro sprigs for garnish
1. Heat a skillet over medium heat.
2. Drain and rinse chickpeas.
3. Add chickpeas to the skillet.
4. Stir occasionally for about 3 minutes.
5. Add 3-4 tablespoons of pico de gallo (or add as much or as little as you’d like).
5. Add chopped cilantro and stir together with chickpeas and pico de gallo for another 2-3 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and keep warm.
7. In a separate skillet, add two quail eggs.
8. Cook for 3-4 minutes for more runny yolks or 1-2 minutes longer for less runny yolks.
9. Spoon the chickpeas and pico de gallo mix onto a plate.
10. Top with quail eggs.
11. Add salt and pepper to taste.
12. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.
All Images © Regan Baroni 2016.