Happy Friday! It has been a busy week of “all things business” for me. From setting up my name, my account and insurance, I am ready to relax and take a break from the paper work. Everything is coming together, though and it’s very exciting… still pinching myself a little… ok, maybe a lot.
With all the business stuff going on, I haven’t had as much time to cook or shoot this week. Luckily, I had a couple of soups on hand including this Potato and Leek Soup with Lemon and Feta. My mom made this for us when we were visiting her in Minnesota and it warmed us right up. It also happens to be my Mom’s birthday — Happy Birthday Mom! — and it seemed appropriate to share one of her amazing soup recipes with you today.
The soup combines potato, kale and lemon with additional flavors of oregano and a pinch (or handful in my case) of crumbled feta cheese and rock cabbage microgreens. I picked up the microgreens from American Pride MicroFarm. They add a crisp, clean cabbage flavor that’s nice and subtle. I think this soup is in the running for Mike’s “favorite” right now. One of my favorite parts, besides the flavors, is that it comes together in under 30 minutes and makes a nice big batch to have on hand throughout the week.
It’s also a very healthy soup with the addition of kale. You can read more about the health benefits of kale here.
Stay warm this weekend and if you’re in the easy soup-making mood, definitely make this one and my Butternut Squash with Amaranth. They come together quickly and are a great combo to have on hand during the chilly weather.
POTATO AND KALE SOUP WITH LEMON AND FETA
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped (1 cup)
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1.5 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, chopped (4 cups)
2 cups coarsely chopped kale or spinach
1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
Note: If using dry oregano, reduce amount to 1/4 teaspoon.
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
Rock cabbage microgreens for garnish
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
2. Add onions and garlic and cook and stir for 2 minutes or until tender.
Note: Be careful not to burn the garlic.
3. Stir in broth and potatoes.
4. Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
5. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
6. Stir in kale/spinach and oregano.
7. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until kale has wilted.
8. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and remaining olive oil.
9. Add zest a little at a time, to taste.
10. Let stand 10 minutes.
11. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
12. Top with feta cheese and additional lemon zest, if desired.
All images © Regan Baroni 2016.