We all have our favorite foods. One of mine happens to be pizza. Unfortunately, this isn’t a top contender on the list of healthier eating. I’m not a cut-throat dieter, though. Just because I’m trying to eat healthy, doesn’t mean that I have to cut out everything that I like to eat. That’s just depressing. There are ways to eat healthier and enjoy the foods you like, without going overboard.
One of my greatest discoveries when I started learning how to cook was that I could control what (and how much) I was adding to a recipe. It sounds so simple, but it was a real eye opener for me. Cooking for yourself is a healthier way to eat, but knowing that you can adjust a recipe to make it work for you is a game changer.
This Pizza with Cilantro-Pesto and Shrimp has two of my all-time favorite ingredients: shrimp and cilantro. The sauce is simply brushing the crust with extra-virgin olive oil and adding a few tablespoons of the homemade cilantro-pesto. I also included buffalo mozzarella, but in moderation. This is a pizza recipe, afterall. Another favorite that I make at home is my simple Margherita Pizza.
If all this pizza talk is just sounding too unhealthy of me right now, you should check out my Super Green Smoothie that I try to make every morning post-workout. Don’t worry, no cheese involved… just lots of nutrient-rich greens with some juicy pineapple to make it more than bearable.
HOMEMADE PIZZA WITH CILANTRO-PESTO AND SHRIMP
3/4 cup fresh cilantro
1/4 cup fresh, flat-leaf parsley
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tablespoons pine nuts
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
Olive oil (I used 1/3 cup; taste as you blend and adjust to your liking)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 pound pre-made pizza dough (you will only use about half)
Buffalo mozzarella (4-5 small balls torn up or more, if desired)
8-10 medium or large uncooked shrimp, peeled and de-veined
Salt & pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Roll about 1/2 of the dough on a lightly floured surface.
Note: If you don’t have a rolling pin (like me), use a chilled wine bottle to help roll the dough flat.
3. Brush the dough with olive oil and place on a baking sheet in the oven for about 10 minutes or until crust starts to get lightly golden.
4. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
5. In a food processor or blender, combine the Cilantro-Pesto ingredients and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Brush the shrimp with olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper and sauté in a pan over medium heat until cooked through (they will be opaque).
7. Spread a few tablespoons of the cilantro pesto over the pizza and top with buffalo mozzarella, cooked shrimp and cilantro sprigs.
8. Place in the oven until the cheese melts, about 10 minutes (keep an eye on it).
9. Serve hot.
All images © Regan Baroni 2016.