One of my favorite things to do on weekend mornings is step away from my phone and my computer, make several cups of Yogi Tea and flip through new and old cooking magazines in the natural light and calming quiet of our living room. I find myself getting inspired to cook new recipes like this Flank Steak with Grilled Corn Salsa that I saw in Bon Appétit.
Mike typically does the grilling between the two of us, but even I stepped up to the plate on this one. The ingredients may seem like a lot at first glance, but it’s all very easy to put together and you probably have a lot of the seasonings on hand already.
I tested this recipe three times before I shot it for the blog. One extra ingredient I wanted to add were the microgreens that I received from Green Towers. They sent me a tray of Daikon Radish microgreens to try out and I was shocked at how easy they were to incorporate.
The tray can be stored indoors or out, and growing instructions are included. They grow quickly and before you know it, you’ll have a big batch of microgreens to add to salads, salsas and even this steak recipe. Daikon has a crisp and subtle spicy flavor that nicely complimented the salsa and steak rub.
Enjoy the recipe!
You should also check out my Surf & Turf.
Flank Steak with Grilled Corn Salsa
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon English mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Steak and Grilled Corn Salsa
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for grill
3 ears of corn, shucked
1⁄4 red onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeño, seeds removed, finely chopped
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup fresh lime juice salt & pepper to taste
1.5 pounds flank steak
Daikon radish microgreens
1. Prepare a grill for medium-high heat; oil grate.
2. Grill corn, turning occasionally, until lightly browned all over, about 8–10 minutes; let cool.
3. Cut kernels from cobs and place in a medium bowl.
4. Add onion, jalapeño, tomatoes, cilantro, microgreens and lime juice to corn and toss to combine; season with salt and pepper. Set salsa aside.
5. Meanwhile, coat steak with all of dry rub, packing on more than once if needed, and drizzle with 2 Tbsp. oil to help rub adhere.
6. Grill steak, turning occasionally and moving to a cooler spot on grill as needed, until nicely browned about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare.
7. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 10 minutes.
8. Return steak to grill just to recrisp exterior, about 1 minute per side.
9. Transfer back to cutting board and slice against the grain.
10. Serve topped with salsa and additional microgreens, if desired.
All images © Regan Baroni 2015.