One of my favorite things to do on weekend mornings is step away from my phone and my computer, make several cups of Yogi Tea and flip through new and old cooking magazines in the natural light and calming quiet of our living room. Even when it’s overcast, the light is really beautiful and the aura of a new day energizes me. I find myself getting inspired to cook and even more inspired to shoot something delicious and new.
I subscribe to several cooking mags, but always seem to gravitate to the recipes in Bon Appétit. When I came across this recipe for Grilled Flank Steak and Grilled Corn Salsa, I knew I had to make it. Mike typically does the grilling between the two of us, but even I stepped up to the plate on this one. Although the ingredients seem extensive at first glance, it’s all very easy to put together. I actually tested this recipe three times before shooting it.
One extra ingredient I wanted to add were the microgreens I received from Green Towers. They sent me a tray of Daikon Radish microgreens to try out and I was shocked at how easy they were to incorporate. The tray can be stored indoors or out, and growing instructions are included. They grow quickly and before you know it, you’ll have a big batch of microgreens to add to salads, salsas and even this steak recipe. Daikon has a crisp and subtle spicy flavor that nicely complimented the salsa and steak rub.
Be sure to take time to slow down and find the energy you need for the coming week. This recipe is a good start.
FLANK STEAK WITH GRILLED CORN SALSA
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon English mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
STEAK AND CORN SALSA
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for grill
3 ears of corn, shucked
1⁄4 red onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeño, seeds removed, finely chopped
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup fresh lime juice salt & pepper to taste
1.5 pounds flank steak
Daikon radish microgreens
1. Prepare a grill for medium-high heat; oil grate.
2. Grill corn, turning occasionally, until lightly browned all over, about 8–10 minutes; let cool.
3. Cut kernels from cobs and place in a medium bowl.
4. Add onion, jalapeño, tomatoes, cilantro, microgreens and lime juice to corn and toss to combine; season with salt and pepper. Set salsa aside.
5. Meanwhile, coat steak with all of dry rub, packing on more than once if needed, and drizzle with 2 Tbsp. oil to help rub adhere.
6. Grill steak, turning occasionally and moving to a cooler spot on grill as needed, until nicely browned about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare.
7. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 10 minutes.
8. Return steak to grill just to recrisp exterior, about 1 minute per side.
9. Transfer back to cutting board and slice against the grain.
10. Serve topped with salsa and additional microgreens, if desired.
All images © Regan Baroni 2015.