We all have go-to recipes when the work week gets busy, but sometimes it can start to feel repetitive and boring. Chicken and salad, again? Mike and I have started experimenting with new side dishes to accompany our usual chicken, pork or fish dinners. It’s an attempt to make our week night dinners feel fresh again without reinventing the wheel.
These tasty Honey-Roasted Carrots are incredibly easy to make. I originally found a similar recipe in Food & Wine magazine, but I simplified it to fit into our busy week night dinner plans. All you need are: carrots, butter, salt, pepper and, of course, honey. It’s simple, yet delicious. The honey really brings out the sweetness in the carrots and the flavors pair really well with most dinners.
I also decided to submit this recipe to Food52 for their Best Recipe with Honey contest because it’s super easy and incredibly delicious. If you’re not familiar with Food52, it’s a website that brings cooks together to share recipes, ideas and support within the food community. I highly recommend checking it out because it’s always nice to expand your community and gain a little extra inspiration in the kitchen.
HONEY ROASTED CARROTS
1-2 bunches of rainbow carrots
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
3-4 tablespoons of honey
Salt & papper
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Scrub carrots but don’t peel them.
3. Lay on a baking sheet and spread the melted butter over the carrots.
4. Add salt and pepper.
5. Roast carrots in the oven for 10 minutes, or until tender.
Note: You can use a fork to test the tenderness.
6. Remove from the oven and drizzle the carrots with honey.
7. Place carrots back into the oven for an additional 5-8 minutes or until caramelized.
8. Let cool slightly before serving.
All images © Regan Baroni 2015.