I love scallops… but I really need to be in the mood for them. They are so incredibly rich on their own, and they always seem to be drenched in butter or paired with a tasty risotto. They’re kind of like the friend who’s the life of the party. You love hanging out and always have a blast together, but you’re exhausted afterward and need a bit of a break for a while.
When I read about pairing scallops with a lemony salsa verde in Bon Appétit, my interest peaked. Mike and I have been on a seafood kick lately and are constantly gathered around the grill, so I was really excited to give this a try. And, let me tell you, it’s a game changer. The combination of the olive oil, chives and parsley work perfectly together while the cilantro and lemon shine through with so much brightness. Add salt and pepper slowly to your liking and you’ll be surprised at how these flavors lighten up the dish… you may find yourself wanting to hang out a little more often. It’s an absolutely perfect summer recipe.
GRILLED SCALLOPS WITH LEMONY SALSA VERDE
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for grilling
10-12 large sea scallops, side muscle removed
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1⁄2 lemon (with peel), seeded, chopped
1 small shallot, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
Fresh lemon juice
1. Heat grill to medium-high heat; oil grate.
2. Combine lemon, shallot and garlic in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
3. Let sit for about 5-10 minutes.
4. Stir in oil, parsley, cilantro and chives.
5. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
6. Add lemon juice if desired.
7. Toss scallops with 2 tablespoons of oil on a baking sheet.
8. Season with salt and pepper.
9. Using a fish spatula or your hands, place scallops on grill, flat side down.
10. Grill, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and just cooked through, about 2 minutes per side.
11. Serve scallops topped with Lemony Salsa Verde.
All images © Regan Baroni 2015.