My weekend was full of recipes and shoots at home and I loved every minute of it. Although I love shooting for restaurants, it was fun to be back in my kitchen doing my own thing. I’m especially excited to share this super easy Sashimi Salad recipe with you. If you’re obsessed with sushi like I am, you may be looking for ways to satisfy the sushi craving without breaking the bank. This salad is perfect! You can use any fish you’d like. I used smoked salmon which you can find at your local market or grocery store. It’s a really flexible recipe too, because you can add or eliminate whatever your stomach desires to make it your go-to sashimi salad.
It calls for lightly toasted sesame seeds, which I hadn’t done before. Be careful doing this because they toast up really quickly and it’s easy to burn them. They become slightly fragrant when they’re ready (within a couple minutes) and although they’re tiny seeds, they definitely add a subtle, nutty flavor to the salad. The best part is the citrus-soy dressing. I hadn’t tried the combination of citrus and salty before and it was delicious. Yum!
SASHIMI SALAD WITH CITRUS SOY
7 ounces sushi-grade salmon, skin removed or pre-packaged smoked salmon
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon sesame seeds, lightly toasted
1. Grate the zest of 1 orange and 1 lime into a bowl.
2. Squeeze 1 tablespoon of juice from the orange and 2 tablespoons of juice from the limes.
3. Whisk in the soy sauce and mix together well.
4. Let sauce sit in the fridge to chill, about 30 minutes.
5. To toast the sesame seeds, warm a pan over medium to low heat.
6. Add seeds to dry pan. 7. Stir frequently and watch to be sure you don’t burn them.
Note: This should only take 1-2 minutes and you’ll start to smell a slight nuttiness.
8. Using a mandoline, thinly slice the cucumber as desired.
9. Sprinkle frisée lettuce on a salad plate.
10. Add salmon as desired and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
11. Add cucumber and microgreens as desired.
12. Drizzle lettuce and salmon with the citrus soy dressing and serve immediately.
All images © Regan Baroni 2015.