My mom is the queen of homemade soups. She always has at least a couple of them waiting for us when Mike and I visit her in Minnesota. When she came to visit us recently, I wanted to have something comforting prepared for her just like she does for us. I decided to make a soup that she hadn’t had before – Tortellini Soup with Ground Turkey and Spinach.
She loved it and immediately borrowed the recipe from me so that she could make it for her friends. And, now they’ve all borrowed it from her. I love it when recipes go ‘viral’ like that.
What are your go-to comfort food recipes?
Tortellini Soup with Turkey and Spinach
1 lb ground turkey
Half yellow onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1-2 boxes of vegetable broth (4-8 cups)
1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 box tortellini
Two tablespoons of basil, roughly chopped
1 bag Spinach (add as much or as little as you like)
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Over medium heat, add onion to pot and sauté for 2-3 minutes until they soften
2. Add garlic and mix in with onion, about 1 minute (careful not to burn the garlic)
3. Add turkey and mix until browned
4. Drain and add back to pot
5. Add the crushed tomatoes, 4 cups of broth and basil
6. Bring to a boil and then simmer on stove for about 30 minutes
7. Add salt and pepper to taste
8. Add spinach to your liking – I add a lot and it wilts down quite a bit
9. Cook tortellini in a separate pot according to instructions.
Note: I keep them separate to avoid them absorbing too much of the broth.
10. Fill bowls with tomato broth and add desired amounts of tortellini
11. Salt and pepper to taste, if needed
All images © Regan Baroni 2015.