What’s not to love about asparagus? It’s gorgeous, it’s flavorful and the ease of cooking it makes it a go-to in our house. I think asparagus is one of the first vegetables I learned how to make fresh. There are many ways to prepare this beautiful green, but I gravitate towards roasting it because of one of Mike’s and my favorite chefs, Jamie Oliver.
In one of his episodes, he mentions a great tip: roast the asparagus without any seasoning. Mike and I had always added the seasoning first, so this was a new technique to us. We gave his suggestion a try and haven’t gone back since. Adding the seasoning after roasting it allows the natural flavors of the asparagus to shine through. There’s almost a nuttiness to the taste. It’s delicious and pairs really well with pretty much anything you’re making for dinner. I loved shooting this almost as much as I loved eating it.
1 bunch of green asparagus
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1/2 lemon, to taste
Salt & pepper, to taste
Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Wash asparagus and break off the ends.
Note: Asparagus lets you know where to break it.
4. Drizzle the baking sheet with olive oil.
5. Place asparagus on the baking sheet without any seasoning
Note: Roasting asparagus without seasoning actually brings out a really nice nutty flavor.
6. Roast asparagus for about 10-15 minutes, using a fork to test the crispness.
7. Remove asparagus from oven and drizzle with olive oil.
8. Season with salt, pepper, lemon and grated Parmesan.
All images © Regan Baroni 2014.