As Christmas approaches, I wanted to celebrate in style with these salty, chocolate chunk cookies inspired from a favorite go-to of mine, Bon Appetit. There are several amazing holiday cookie recipes out there, but I remain loyal to the good, old fashioned chocolate chip. Soft, chewy and chocolaty with a touch of sea salt on top…
One bite into these and I really do feel like all my troubles will be out of sight. Have a very happy and full holiday!
CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIES WITH SEA SALT
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 oz. semisweet or bitter-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
Maldon or flaky sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Whisk flour, baking powder, kosher salt & baking soda in a medium bowl. Set aside.
3. Using an electric stand mixer on medium speed, beat the butter, brown sugar, sugar and powdered sugar until light and fluffy (about 3-4 minutes).
4. Add egg yolks, egg and vanilla and continue to beat with mixer another 4-5 minutes, until pale and fluffy.
5. Reduce speed to low and slowly add the dry ingredients to blend.
6. Using a spatula, fold in the chocolate.
7. Add cookie dough to parchment paper-lined baking sheet spacing 1.5 or 2 inches apart.
8. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
9. Bake cookies for about 10 minutes. The cookies will firm as they cool.
10. Let cool on baking sheet for about 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
11. Store cookies in an air tight container to keep soft.
All images © Regan Baroni 2013.